The aim of the recently launched Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign is to reduce the number of deaths and injuries caused by carbon monoxide. The campaign is being run by Energy UK on behalf of some of the UK’s major gas and electricity companies and in partnership with the Dominic Rodgers Trust.
The Trust was set up by Stacey Rodgers in 2004, after her son, Dominic, died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a neighbour’s flue and faulty boiler.
There is a Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! fact sheet available containing all the important facts and advice you need to keep you, your family and your neighbours safe from the lethal effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. Print it out, share it with your friends and family via Social Media and most of all, read it and take note of everything you can do to ensure your safety.
As part of the campaign, a study was undertaken to establish how much people really know and understand about staying safe when it comes to carbon monoxide. Worryingly, the results show that around 35 million people across Great Britain are still potentially at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning.
One of the main reasons seems to be that whilst most of us are aware that carbon monoxide is a killer, only 4 in ten of us have carbon monoxide alarms fitted in our homes. As a family that does have an alarm for both fire and carbon monoxide, I can say that I feel a whole lot safer in the knowledge that a rather loud and piercing alarm will sound before carbon monoxide can seriously affect anyone living in our home.
If this has got you worried and you want to know more, check out the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! website for the full skinny on what to do to ensure the safety of you and yours.
Also take care to study the infographic at the top of this post. It contains details of the five steps you can take to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Please help spread the word of this campaign – and more importantly, the advice given in this campaign. If you don’t have time to post about it yourself, then please take a moment to share this post via Twitter, Facebook etc. Thank you.
Right, having boasted earlier in this post that we already have a carbon monoxide alarm, I’m now off to book in our gas man to come and check the boiler. Could do without the expense. But then again, it’s better to spend a few pounds getting it checked out and be safe in the knowledge that we will all be safe and sound come Christmas day.
Latest posts by Luci McQuitty Hindmarsh (see all)
- #SilentSunday 26th May 2013 - May 26, 2013
- Watch two men try out what it feels like to give birth - May 20, 2013
- Action For Children: changing the law on child neglect - May 20, 2013